This is method of chemically relaxing the hair so that the the curls can be turned straight. This is a treatment that is suggested for woman with big and unmanageable hair. When done right, this procedure tames down the hair quite well and its effects last for a fairly long time.
Procedure for hair rebonding
Our hair has a certain characteristic due to the bonds that the proteins have between them. This is why some people has curly, wavy or straight hair. To change the look, we need to change the bonds i.e. alter the bonding between the protein molecules.
Rebonding hair is a procedure that requires the use of two chemicals:
1. Cream softener or relaxant
The cream softener is first applied to the hair and allowed to sit for a while. This agent breaks down the natural bonding of the hair allowing it to be set in the way we want and the neutralizer forms fresh bonds that gives our hair the straight look.
The steps are as follows.
· hair is first washed with a mild shampoo.
· the relaxant is then applied and left for half an hour. This is then steamed and washed off.
· the hair is now straightened in sections
· to the straightened hair, the neutralizer is applied that resets the bonds
· the neutralizer is rinsed off
· the hair is again blow dried and a serum is applied.
You are then asked not to wash your hair for 3 days after.
Are your thinking about hair rebonding at home? It is possible but it is strictly advised against as a lot of chemicals are used and is best done under supervision of an expert.
Pro’sThis one is but obvious! You have that sleek look you have been craving for all along.Con’sThis is something you need consider more seriously.
· Your hair will be subjected to chemical damage during the process no matter how many precautions you take.
· Hair can fall very easily after this procedure as the roots are weakened. It is a lot of careful handling.
· The risk of burns from straightener or the chemical always stands
· Tucking your hair or tying it up tight can also damage hair. You will have to keep lose at most times.
· The touch ups will further weaken your hair over each sitting leaving your hair very susceptible to other damages too.
It is for this reason that people are advised to think about it very carefully before they consent for this procedure.Care for rebonded hairRebonded hair needs a lot more care than regular hair. Due to all the chemical treatments it has undergone, it requires constant care and protection from damage.
Here I am listing some tips to take care of rebounded hair· Do not wet your hair for three days after the procedure. Yes, it means greasy hair and no swimming. The chemicals have to seep in and settle.
· Do not tie your hair or put it on the back of your ears. The hair will be in a state where it acquires a shape.
· When you sleep, make sure your hair is straight. You don’t want to wake up to weird shaped hair.
· Wash your hair with shampoo and conditioner after three days. Leave the conditioner on your hair for extra minutes.
· Avoid usage of any heating tools. That means no blow drying too. If you are in a need of drying hair, then use the cool blast of air option.
· Do not mess with your hair for at least six months – that means no hair coloring, no streaks, no highlighting. Your hair needs to relax after the high dose of straightening chemicals.
· Have your hair trimmed on a regular basis. This ensures your hair remains in top condition. Make sure there are no split ends. You don’t want it to travel up the length and deepen the damage.
· Use cold water to wash your hair. Hot water will rob it of its moisture.
· Make sure you wash away all the residue as anything left back will result in itching, hair fall and dandruff.
· Use a wide toothed hair comb to separate the strands. Remove any tangles with great care. A wooden comb is preferable as plastic combs are known to create frizz due to static.
· If your hair is not really greasy or oily, stay away from shampooing every day. You can try alternate days or try co-washing which means using conditioner as a shampoo and just rinsing it away.
· Keep your hair safe from environmental factors – harsh sun rays, cold winds and the rains. Use a hat or an umbrella.
· Apply a hair serum regularly. This creates a barrier between your hair and the outside and helps protect it better. · Use a leave in conditioner. This helps in retaining the moisture and keeps dryness and frizz away.
· Use hair masks frequently or get hair spas done. Your hair needs moisture and nutrition.
· In case you wet your hair due to rain, wash your hair like a regular wash as soon as possible. The salts and pollutants from rain water are highly damaging.
· Follow a nutritious diet. A good diet consists of nuts, cashews, almonds and lots of fruits and vegetables. These are known to promote healthy hair.
Precautions· First off you need to ensure that your hair is never too exposed to the sun and pollution. Always keep it covered and protected. Rebonded hair is more susceptible to sun damage and pollution.
· Do not allow your hair to dry at point of time. Dry hair is as such brittle, chemically treated dry hair is even more fragile.
· Avoid hot water at all times.
Healthy hair shows it’s been taken care of – smooth to touch and frizz free. Incorporate a good hair care routine and treat your hair to a good care. Rebonded hair will certainly not trouble you too much if it’s taken care of in the right way.